LIST OF ALL PROPOSED ACTIONS LIFE+PINZON
A. Preparatory actions, elaboration of management plans and/or of action plans.
- A1 Analysis, evaluation and development of protocols for translocations Blue Finch Gran Canaria from the source population.
- A2 Location and evaluation of new places of release of captive-bred and translocated animals.
- A3 Improvement reproductive strategies at the Center for Captive Breeding Blue Chaffinch of Gran Canaria.
C. Concrete conservation actions.
- C1 Release in the pine forests of La Cumbre de Gran Canaria from animals raised in captivity and translocated.
- C2 Control non-native predators in the area of loose pine forest La Cumbre de Gran Canaria and the Integral Natural Reserve of Inagua.
- C3 Implementation of the necessary to operate ecological corridors analyzed by the LIFE07 NAT / E / 000759 project plantations.
- C4 ZEPA statement in the pine forests of La Cumbre de Gran Canaria to cover the new population centers of Gran Canaria Blue Chaffinch (Fringilla polatzeki).
D. Monitoring of the impact of the project actions .
- D1 Population monitoring Blue Finch Gran Canaria.
- D2 Evaluation of the implementation of the actions of liberation, restoration and habitat improvement.
- D3 Evaluation of the socioeconomic impact of the project actions on the population and the local economy as well as on the restoration of ecosystem functions.
- D4 Monitoring and evaluation of control of feral cats in the work areas.
E. Public awareness and dissemination of results .
- E1 Development website of the project.
- E2 Preparation of promotional material of the project.
- E3 Outreach activities and environmental volunteers to monitor the Blue Chaffinch of Gran Canaria and creating ecological corridors.
- E4 International Conference recovery to island endangered birds . Captive breeding processes and creating new populations.
- E6 Layman report.
- E7 Workbenches with local social and professional involved in the conservation and sustainable use of land resources sectors of activity.
F. Project management and monitoring of project progress .
- F1 Project management.
- F2 External audit.
- F3 Network to exchange experiences with participants in similar projects.
- F4 Conservation After-LIFE Plan.
To fulfill these objectives the following actions will be implemented.
- Creation of sustainable population centers of blue chaffinch in the pine forests of the summit of Gran Canaria. Throughout the present project there will be releases of captive-bred animals, and animals translocated from the source population at various points in the pine forest of the summit of Gran Canaria in order to establish a sustainable population in that place, which ensures the survival of the species.
- Improvement of the productivity of viable individuals for their release into the wild from the captive breeding center. With the development of this project, there will be an establishment of genetic improvement actions in the breeding individuals on the captive breeding center of the blue chaffinch in Tafira, allowing this to produce genetically viable individuals which are sustainable for release.
- Increasement of the population size of blue chaffinch on the island of Gran Canaria. With the implementation of the actions of translocation and release of individuals in the summit of Gran Canaria, a significant increase in the number of individuals from the species is expected, creating a new population center that also serves as a seed source to colonize pine forests close to the central summit.
- Environmental restoration for the operation of ecological corridors set out by the project LIFE07 NAT/E/000759. In the LIFE + INAGUA Project, a study entitled “Strategic Plan for promoting the expansion of the range of the blue chaffinch ” was carried out, in which a series of actions to implement were defined in order to operate ecological corridors to connect all areas susceptible to the distribution of the species, as a crucial measure to avoid losses on population due to events such as forest fires, as was the case in 2007. To this end, this project will work in the operation of the corridors in the central summit and Tamadaba, since they are the priority areas for the species.